This period heralds the beginnings of living memory and the organisers of this website would like to hear from anyone with a story to tell or, just simply to say, 'Hello'. Details can be found on the Contact page.
The pre-war 1930s witnessed a boom in demand for dance training. It was fashionable in society for young ladies to exercise all their options in developing a well-rounded demeanor: ballet: deportment and etiquette: a musical instrument and social graces were prerequisite. The art of ballet was increasingly being featured at theatres in London and the Provinces. At many houses it was enjoying as long a run as a play.
Ninette de Valois gave her 'first full length evening of ballet' at the Old Vic in January, 1931.
She moved her school to Sadler's Wells Theatre in the same year and produced fortnightly performances as the Vic-Wells Ballet, later to
become The Royal Ballet Company in 1956. Marie Rambert opened her school in 1920 and formed her first company in 1926, later to be called, Ballet Rambert. There were many other ad-hoc resident and foreign touring companies. Alongside these came a steady demand for musicals, music-hall, cabaret and other stage work.
Of course, all this increased the demand for dancers and, more essentially, teachers. Studios were opening at a fast rate, many by, "Fashionable and therefore expensive teachers........it must be remembered that the cleverest artiste is not always the best teacher. There are many whose fees are quite reasonable and yet who have the qualifications and ability to give instruction of the highest order. In the category mentioned, Noreen Bush must certainly be included for her studio at 10 Henrietta Street, Oxford Street, W.1., has been the cradle of a number of successful artists in all branches of the dance. Miss Bush holds many awards and diplomas; also she is Professor of Dancing at the Royal Academy of Music and the Guildhall School of Music and is recognised by all the leading bodies as a teacher of outstanding ability and merit." (Town and Country News, 11 May, 1934).
1 2 Next